Mount Lebanon Church History

Mount Lebanon has stood for over one hundred years. The history of Mount Lebanon is both educational and inspirational. In November 1902, a group of Christian believers sought permission from the officers of the Odd Fellows of Bells Mill to hold an interdenominational Sunday school on the first floor of their hall. These men were Brothers Jimmy Todd, Seth McDonald, Napoleon Locker, Miles Pool and Louis Brown. In 1907, these brothers secured the use of Alexander Hollowell’s store and called it the Bells Mill Mission. Christians visiting from churches in the neighboring communities would always come to fellowship with the Mission. The services were always moving. The Mission was later named Mount Lebanon Baptist Church, and Rev. E.J. Owens of Berkley was its first pastor.

Expanding the vision...

Over the years, several pastors would lead the way for Mount Lebanon to become instrumental, and were dedicated to the spiritual and physical growth of the church. Mount Lebanon has grown from a small 24 x 40 foot structure to a 53,000 sq. ft. sanctuary (Cathedral) on its Chesapeake campus to 8 physical locations from Virginia to North Carolina!