A CHURCH ON THE MOVE FOR CHRIST TO GOD BE THE GLORY!
Mount Lebanon has stood for one hundred years. The history of Mount Lebanon is both educational and inspirational. In November 1902, a group of Christian believers sought permission from the officers of the Odd Fellows of Bells Mill to hold an interdenominational Sunday school on the first floor of their hall. These men were Brothers Jimmy Todd, Seth McDonald, Napoleon Locker, Miles Pool and Louis Brown. In 1907, these brothers secured the use of Alexander Hollowell’s store and called it the Bells Mill Mission. Christians visiting from churches in the neighboring communities would always come to fellowship with the Mission. The services were always grand and glorious. The Mission was later named Mount Lebanon Baptist Church and Rev. E.J. Owens of Berkley was its first pastor.
Over the years several pastors would lead the way for Mount Lebanon to become instrumental and dedicated to the spiritual and physical growth of the church. Mount Lebanon has grown from a small 24 x 40 foot edifice to a 40,000 sq. ft. edifice on its’ current campus; however, adding another 53,000 sq. ft. sanctuary in Chesapeake, and 25,000 sq. ft. in Elizabeth City, NC and we are still continuing to build. God’s grace and mercy have led Mount Lebanon’s growth to include:
The Mount Lebanon Christian Academy was established in 1998 with 6 students eager to learn and 2 teachers assisting with their education. Today the academy has a larger student population and continues to gain new enrollment every year. The academy boasts a new academic wing, including gymnasium, full service cafeteria, library, and computer lab. The Academy develops the minds of K2 1/2 to 5th grade students and ASC (after school care) serves ages 6-12.
Today’s society is based on bridging the gap between Christian believers and the community. Evangelical outreach has been foremost in the vision of Mount Lebanon. The Signet Health Center opened November 2003 and provides an environment for community activities, church functions and space for Kingdom Businesses.
Mount Lebanon’s growth doesn’t stop there. A new administration wing, additional offices, an operational bookstore, an expanded church lobby, and nursery rooms also were completed in November 2003.
Mount. Lebanon Missionary Baptist Church, under the anointed leadership of Dr. K. W. Brown, has been blessed to have established 7 functioning departments with 30 ministries to serve the congregation and community. The ministry also employs 10 full-time employees, 5 part-time employees, and numerous volunteers. These volunteers, along with the paid staff, assist Pastor Brown in providing services to the fast growing congregation for the sole purpose of “Raising a Nation for Christ”.